National Evaluation and Accreditation Agency (NEAA)
The review will evaluate the way in which and to what extent the National Evaluation and Accreditation Agency (NEAA) fulfills the criteria for ENQA membership and thus the Standards and Guidelines for Quality Assurance in the European Higher Education Area. The evaluation is scheduled to finish February/March 2018.
Background and context
The Bulgarian National Evaluation and Accreditation Agency (NEAA or the Agency) is a statutory body for evaluation, accreditation and monitoring of the quality in higher education institutions and scientific organisations aiming at the enhancement of their teaching and research, as well as of their development as scientific, cultural, and innovative organisations.
The Agency monitors the ability of institutions, their main units and branches to provide good quality of education and scientific research through an internal quality assurance system.
NEAA’s mission is to encourage higher education institutions in assuring and enhancing the quality of education they offer by sustaining high academic standards and good education traditions in Bulgaria.
NEAA has been a full member of ENQA since 2008 and is applying for renewal of its ENQA membership.
NEAA is also applying for registration on EQAR. NEAA has been in the Register from 2008 until 2013.
The process is designed in the light of the Guidelines for ENQA Agency Reviews and in line with the requirements of the EQAR Procedures for Applications.
The evaluation procedure consists of the following steps:
- Formulation of the Terms of Reference and protocol for the review;
- Nomination and appointment of the review panel;
- Self-assessment by NEAA including the preparation of a self-assessment report;
- A site visit by the review panel to NEAA;
- Preparation and completion of the final evaluation report by the review panel;
- Scrutiny of the final evaluation report by the ENQA Review Committee;
- Analysis of the scrutiny by the ENQA Board and their decision regarding ENQA membership;
- Follow-up of the panel’s and/or ENQA Board’s recommendations by the agency, including a voluntary follow-up visit.
The panel is composed of the following members:
- Jean-Marc Rapp, Professor at the University of Lausanne, Law Faculty, President of Swiss Accreditation Council, Director of the Business Law Center (CEDIDAC), Switzerland, Chair, academic (EUA nominee)
- Maria Weber, Head of Department Accreditation & International Affairs, Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ Austria), Austria, Secretary, quality assurance professional (ENQA nominee)
- Mieczysław Socha, Emeritus Professor of the University of Warsaw, Former Vice President of the Polish Accreditation Committee (PKA), Poland, Quality assurance professional (ENQA nominee)
- Simona Dimovska, Master student at Iustinianus Primus Law Faculty, University Ss. Cyril and Methodius in Skopje, Macedonia, Student (ESU nominee)
This review is being coordinated by Agnė Grajauskienė.
NEAA’s self-assessment report is available here.