Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education (NOKUT)
The review will evaluate the way in which and to what extent the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education (NOKUT) fulfills the criteria for ENQA membership and thus the Standards and Guidelines for Quality Assurance in the European Higher Education Area. The evaluation is scheduled to finish June/July 2018.
Background and context
The Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education (NOKUT) was established in 2003. NOKUT’s main tasks and powers are regulated in the Act Relating to Universities and University Colleges, the Act Relating to Tertiary Vocational Education and the associated regulations issued by the Ministry of Education and Research. NOKUT is the official quality assurance agency for Norwegian higher education and tertiary vocational education and the Norwegian ENIC/NARIC-office. NOKUT has an independent board and comprises five departments. NOKUT conducts quality assurance focusing on both quality controls and enhancement. NOKUT also performs a number of analyses to both inform and stimulate the development of quality in educational provision at Norwegian higher education and tertiary vocational education. NOKUT aims to contribute to ensuring society’s confidence in Norwegian higher education and tertiary vocational education, as well as recognised foreign higher education.
NOKUT has been a member of ENQA since 2000 and is applying for renewal of membership in ENQA.
NOKUT has been registered on EQAR since 2014 and is applying for renewal for registration on EQAR.
The process is designed in the light of the Guidelines for ENQA Agency Reviews and in line with the requirements of the EQAR Procedures for Applications.
The evaluation procedure consists of the following steps:
- Formulation of the Terms of Reference and protocol for the review;
- Nomination and appointment of the review panel;
- Self-assessment by NOKUT including the preparation of a self-assessment report;
- A site visit by the review panel to NOKUT;
- Preparation and completion of the final evaluation report by the review panel;
- Scrutiny of the final evaluation report by the ENQA Review Committee;
- Analysis of the scrutiny by the ENQA Board and their decision regarding ENQA membership;
- Follow-up of the panel’s and/or ENQA Board’s recommendations by the agency, including a voluntary follow-up visit.
The panel is composed of the following members:
- Tue Vinther-Jørgensen, Chief Consultant, Ministry of Higher Education and Science, Denmark – Chair, quality assurance professional (ENQA nominee)
- Đurđica Dragojević, Expert Advisor for International Cooperation, Croatian Agency for Science and Higher Education (ASHE), Croatia – Secretary, quality assurance professional (ENQA nominee)
- Terhi Nokkala, Senior Researcher, Finnish Institute for Educational research, University of Jyväskylä, Finland – Academic (EUA nominee)
- Hermann Blum, Master student at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Germany – Student (ESU nominee)
This review is being coordinated by Paula Ranne.