“Lifelong learning in higher education: networked teaching and learning in a knowledge society.”
The conference was organised under the French EU presidency 2008 and was hosted by the Centre National d’Éducation à Distance (CNED) at the Futuroscope site in Poitiers.
Moving from an information society towards a knowledge society requires facing the challenge of lifelong learning as a continuum from initial education to higher education and adult continuing education. Conventional universities have difficulties in effectively responding to the lifelong learning paradigm. What can be the strategy to reach a vast number of potential lifelong learners having different backgrounds, origins, education, professional training and experience?
The leading themes of the conference were:
- Open Educational Resources in a lifelong learning context;
- From Virtual Mobility towards Virtual Erasmus;
- Quality Assurance and Benchmarking for online and distance learning;
- University Strategies and Business Models for lifelong learning;
- Research in lifelong learning;
- Employability and online learning.
During the conference, a series of plenary and parallel sessions were guiding the audience through the various aspects of networked teaching and learning in a knowledge society.